Sewing

Cheap girls sewing table

August 30, 2011

Yeah. . I’m cheap. You gotta save money somewhere when you buying gobs and gobs of fabric right? I say that jokingly but you know it’s true!

So a requirement (okay it’s not a necessity but it’s nice to have) when you’re free motion quilting with your machine is to have you sewing table level with your sewing machine. Basically you want more room to move the quilt around and you don’t want it hanging off the machine 2 to 3 inches because it can screw up the sewing bad. Unless you have wicked free motion quilting kungfu. . .then you’re my hero!

Now I’ve been searching online and the classifieds for a good sewing table. Oh! The one I had was a good one, a Ikea:

Ikea table

It served as a cutting and sewing table. . oh and don’t forget where the crap-lands-table. “Oh! Oh! I don’t know where to but this 5yds of fabric. . I do now!”

Yeah so I had to find a replacement – so I thought if I went to the thrift stores once a week and found a sewing table I (when I say “I” it really means “Handy Husband”) could mod the table to fit my machine.

I found a nice table through the classifieds. . 1980s-ish don’t you think?

2011-08-27 09.21.56.jpg

I measured the opening and made sure my machine wasn’t too small or too big for the mod.

2011-08-27 09.22.41.jpg

So we took out the craziness in the bottom and began to fashion us a shelf to hold my machine. Sure it’s not going to be super nifty and hide my machine inside but for $20bucks. . . beggars can’t be choosers – plus the most important thing to me is that I have more room to quilt and that sewing machine level with the table.

2011-08-28 08.50.37.jpg

The shelf isn’t pretty. . but who cares! It holds my Pfaff well, what do you think?

2011-08-28 08.47.21.jpg

2011-08-28 08.55.16.jpg

Can’t wait to quilt on it!

• Reply Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts August 30, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Way to be crafty! Love it. I have a Pfaff too btw.
    🙂

• Reply Kati August 30, 2011 at 4:46 pm

You did a great job. I’m jealous now.

• Reply Sarah August 30, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Nice!

• Reply Alli August 30, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I think that looks great! Shiny 🙂

• Reply Elizabeth @ Don't Call Me Betsy August 30, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Awesome for you!! I love the classifieds 🙂 That is a definite find there! And it reminds me a lot of my little sewing cabinet, which also screams 1980. An FMQ trick for you from an FMQ-ninja-wannabe – use a stack of big Tupperware bins or your ironing board to create additional length to your desktop space – keeps your quilt from hanging off even more, and can be super handy!

• Reply Jennifer August 30, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Well done! I think it is a great modification to the table. I sadly only have a built in wardrobe as my desk space. Changing the spare room into a permanent sewing room is looking more and more attractive.

• Reply Mickey Kelly White August 30, 2011 at 6:32 pm

A wonderful find ; and it looks neat ; oh dear , and I fading back to the 80’s ! But on the other hand ; I think your Pfaff would look LOVELY in anything !!

• Reply Vicky August 30, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Great find and mod to your sewing table. Your Pfaff looks quite at home there. I just recently moved around tables so that I could quilt easily. Well, that’s the plan anyway.

• Reply Wendy August 30, 2011 at 7:26 pm

turned out fabulous! Don’t worry about the 80’s, my table is teal and cream, screams way more 80’s than yours. Or maybe early 90’s.

• Reply Sue August 31, 2011 at 8:58 am

Your sewing table is gorgeous. I actually bought the table from IKEA and use it for cutting fabric. I liked it because you can adjust the height so that it is perfect for what ever you are doing. I did have to warn my family not to stand on it or it would collapse and break their necks.

• Reply Tanya August 31, 2011 at 2:50 pm

If you ever see a hint of envy in my eyes, this is why 😉

• Reply Montse October 1, 2011 at 1:01 am

I think It’s great! And I have the same Ikea table for my sewing machine and I don’t know if it also happened to you, but mine moves quite a lot when I sew too quickly…