Sewing

Kona’s night

August 19, 2011

Robert Kaufman generously has donated the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild Bright Kona Solid charms packs.The challenge was to come up with something that was pure solids be it small as a pillow or big as a quilt. Here’s what a couple of my favorite gal-pals came up with:

Mrs Brooke
did a colorful play mat our of her charm pack and she was a little annoyed with me trying to take her picture but I still love her!

Brooke aka Mrs Pitter Putter Stitch

Julie made a great changing mat and reversible bag for her baby. I thought that was a great idea. Challenges are had because you might end up making something you won’t use/like but she didn’t!

2011-08-18 20.13.44.jpg

Elisa’s made a never ending quilt. A mobius strip. I didn’t get til she explained if after the voting was done. . but awesome idea!!!

2011-08-18 20.09.29.jpg

Kayli made a great hex pattern quilt. . . it reminds me of flowers with the yellow centers.

2011-08-18 20.12.03.jpg

Colleen did a great wonky cross quilt! (I’m sorry for my horrible picture taking skills. . . but she’s still super cute in the picture)

2011-08-18 20.05.54.jpg

There was a 3-way tie for 3rd place:

Well do you remember my hint. . .
Sneak Peek

Well this is what it turned into:

DSCN1633

DSCN1648

Yeah I kind of cheated right? Chopping up the Kona bag I got from market and putting it in there. . but I figure since it’s Kona-related, I’d be good! But it’s official a wall hanging for my office/sewing room.

DSCN1629

DSCN1650

DSCN1651

(Above is a close up of a pink square that was the hint hopefully I didn’t give too much away)

DSCN1655

Kept the back simple Kona-white since it a wall hanging. . . but here’s a shot of my quilting works – just a simple stitch n’ ditch

(If ya’ll are interested, then I’ll do a quick tutorial on how I made it. . . it’s super simple! Just comment and let me know)

Cindy did a Swirl of Circles:

Cindy's Circle Swirl

Amber did Wonky Blocks pillows:

Amber's Triple Pillows

2nd place went to Sam and her Diamond quilt. . . I still can’t figure out how she did it. Can someone please let me know and maybe I can do a pathetic attempt at it???

2011-08-18 19.54.48.jpg

And of course Mrs Kati took 1st place with her pixelated color wheel wall hanging. Go read her awesome blog entry about it if you haven’t!

2011-08-18 19.50.00.jpg

I had a blast with my women folk last night. . . I know I left some of you out on the pictures but I blame my Vanna White duties.

Next on the plate is the Habitat Challenge. . oh boy! (sarcasm)

• Reply Elizabeth @ Don't Call Me Betsy August 19, 2011 at 10:26 am

Super cool design!! I love that you used the bag, that’s very Project Runway of you! Thanks for sharing the photos, makes me feel like I’m in the guild with you, wish I were!! 🙂 It looks like you guys had a really awesome, fun time!

• Reply Kati August 19, 2011 at 11:03 am

We do have such a great group. It was a fabulous night. Loved all the projects!

• Reply Brooke August 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Hmmm…I daresay that a picture of me smiling (chubby face and all) would have been more attractive than the one you got. Thanks, by the way. Glad the world can see that side of me…=)

• Reply Meryl August 20, 2011 at 11:09 pm

The pixels are CATCHING ON! Oh yeah! Anyway, I would love to know how you did the super neat quilt Amy! I wish I had more time/money for quilting. I still haven’t finished the two I have kicking around my house… I swear. Sooner or later. Did I tell you I had to unpick 1/4th of my futurama quilt? I nearly cried!

• Reply Amber H August 21, 2011 at 11:42 am

I’m SO sad I had to miss guild this month! I wanted to go, but my husband’s been working late nights and I wasn’t going to be able to get a sitter. But FOR SURE I’ll be going from here on out.. I’ll have to make some arrangements with Colleen though.

• Reply Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts August 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Love yours Suki! It’s wonderful and so neat that you are in a guild with Kati. Love hers too. Fun!

• Reply Sam August 21, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I would love to know how you made your quilt. It turned out so cute! As for my quilt, each block was paper pieced in two parts then joined. It was actually fairly easy, just a little time consuming. I can bring a copy of the paper piecing pattern to the next meeting if you want.

• Reply Tanya August 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I am so glad you posted all of these! I missed the meeting and I am so bummed! They all look amazing! Everyone did a really good job. I blogged about mine, and as soon as I figure out flickr, I’ll post it on the flickr thingy. Thanks again for posting this!

• Reply Colleen August 22, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Sam, I want a copy of your paper piecing pattern! I loved loved loved your quilt.

• Reply Katrina H August 22, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Wow! You are all super talented! I love how you incorporated the bag into your quilt top. Genius!

• Reply Binks August 24, 2011 at 4:01 am

I really like your quilt and would love to know how you made it. Its uber pretty and cheerful. Plus I’m obsessed with charm packs.

• Reply imalisawork August 24, 2011 at 5:43 am

I wish I could make my quilt guild meetings but since I am always at work when they meet… the challenges of working hours when everyone else is off. This looks like a ton of fun. I love your quilt and I’ll certainly be thinking about that diamond quilt.

• Reply Andi Settlemoir Barney August 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I love seeing all of the quilts! Our guild (Atlanta) is doing our big reveal and show on September 11. We managed to get Melody Miller to be our guest judge for our show (she’s a local) – soooo excited! Rashida Coleman-Hale will be there, too, just as a guest.

Totally random, but it looks like you guys have your meetings in a beautiful place!!!

• Reply wendy September 2, 2011 at 3:54 am

There are some really fab quilts there, such talent! Yours is just fab!

• Reply Sukie » Blog Archive » Why are there so many songs about rainbows? September 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm

[…] that I love and adore. I haven’t venture out in making my own pattern unless you count the Kona solid challenge (and lets face it – that wasn’t too original) One of the main reasons is that […]