Baby, Challenge, Sewing

Scrap Splat Challenge

October 25, 2011

Back in September, Mr. Thomas issued a Scrap Splat Challenge on GenerationQMagazine.com. (40) 2.5 scrap squares issued to 30 gals/gents, you have to use all the squares in your project.

When I got my scrap set, I read the note and put it aside. .. I mean the due date was in October, so I had plenty of time right? Well last weekend, (yes! last weekend) I remembered that I had this on my list and freaked out! Did a quick google search to see when the project was due and dang 10/26! Yeah so I looked at my scraps. . .I had already thought about doing a sewing machine cover. . . but oh how my plans quickly change.

Here’s a shot of my scraps that I received:

2011-10-22 08.57.02.jpg

How do I make something modern with tradition fabrics. . . and how do I incorporate each one together. . . . oh wait Mr. Thomas said I could use solids. . . . okay. . . hmm search thought my piles of fabric. . jackpot! Kona Charm pack from the Sewing Summit Swag bag.

I organized the piles into the color wheel:

2011-10-22 09.00.44.jpg

Hmm. . . it’s kind of coming together. . . lets do some sewing! I placed the scrap squares with solids that were in their color range and then for neutral element, light kona grey.

DSCN1765

Here’s the dilemma I have. . .my style is modern but I have to deal with the traditional fabrics. . .it’s easy when you have modern fabric for your modern projects. . but flip that a little and your brain starts to break a little.

I looked on my cutting table and saw one of colorways from PearTree and wanted to incorporate that design:

2011-09-23 17.16.42.jpg

That means a little raw edge applique. . .oh boy my favorite. . (one day I would love to learn turn edge) (and yes you did detect a sense of sarcasm)

Again turning to my fabric stash. . gotta add more neutral fabric. . .oh white fleece that’s already cut to the right size. . yeah at this point the sewing machine cover idea is trashed because of the size of this puppy:

DSCN1768

But I think I accomplished my goal! It looks pretty modern with traditional fabrics. . . . what do you think?

Since I’m hella short on time, I really need to not over think this. . so I just did some straight line quilting from the center of the circle out and here’s the results:

DSCN1780

Here’s the back, again something from my fabric stash (shout out to Ikea):

Scrap Splat Back

My little girl, Pepper loves it so it’s going to her:

DSCN1787

DSCN1770

Hope you liked my impromptu Scrap Splat Challenge!!!

• Reply Yana October 25, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Of course I like it:) well done! and fast!))))

• Reply Amanda October 25, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I think this looks SO dang cool. Seriously! I wouldn’t have thought it was so impromptu.

• Reply Jennifer October 25, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Love it. I can’t believe you came up with that from those scraps. Well done!!! Thanks again for the giveaway. The fabric arrived today. Nice to get a package that I was not expecting, or didnt have to buy myself. The colours you chose were great!!!

• Reply Dan October 25, 2011 at 9:35 pm

wonderful shape! I love the petals. And the girl is pretty cute too!

• Reply Deonn October 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Oh, Ms. Suki, you did it again! Found the fresh.
    This is adorable – love your inspiration and your style.
    Lucky little Pepper!

• Reply Tabatha October 26, 2011 at 1:29 am

Outstanding! I love what you did, taking inspiration from modern fabrics. You rock (so does Little Pepper — is she a rapper?)!

• Reply Elizabeth @ Don't Call Me Betsy October 26, 2011 at 4:06 am

You used white?!?!?!?! I think it looks super fab, lady :) Pepper sure looks like she gives it two thumbs up! And thanks for the reminder that I need to visit Ikea’s fabric section, love that backing!

• Reply AnneMarie @ Gen X Quilters October 26, 2011 at 4:52 am

That looks great! Totally modern… I like applique…. Tute??

• Reply Kati October 26, 2011 at 6:18 am

Love it! Way to go with the raw edge applique! Pepper is so stinkin cute by the way.

• Reply Tanya October 26, 2011 at 10:30 am

You can’t even tell that those are traditional fabrics. That quilt is beautiful! But, the baby is even cuter :). I’m also finding some good uses for my Kons charm packs that I received from sewing summit. They are kind of handy to have around!

• Reply Katie B October 26, 2011 at 11:08 am

I think it’s super awesome! Love the design. And Pepper is a cutie!

• Reply Colleen October 26, 2011 at 11:48 am

Definitely modern. It turned out great.

Subliminal message… Make one for Colleen…

• Reply Jessica October 26, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Sukie this looks awesome! The way you arranged the fabrics you can barely tell they are more traditional prints! Great job, I can see why Pepper likes it!

• Reply leigh October 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm

pretty awesome! and great inspiration!

• Reply Rachel October 26, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I like the project came together organically. I alway like having a plan. Btw, Pepper has grown a ton. You better keep am eye on that girl.

• Reply Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts October 26, 2011 at 5:52 pm

It rocks Amy! Way to go and so creative. Pepper is sooo cute too!

• Reply Giddy99 October 26, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I think YOU and the scrap splat quilt are both BRILLIANT! I’m in awe. Adorable baby, too!

• Reply Jill October 26, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I loved this on flickr and I love it even more seeing your process. So impressed this was a last minute project!

• Reply Meryl October 26, 2011 at 7:41 pm

PEPPAH! She’s so cute. (seriously every time we see a picture of pepper in our house, there is a cheer of “PEPPER!” It’s like Norm on cheers.)

I love the little quilt. It’s so awesome, you just step out of the box (or at least my box) and MAN I wish I could have found that Light grey Kona for my quilt … Oh well. I’m making you help me find the right Kona fabrics for my next Pixel quilt. 😉

• Reply Chiska October 26, 2011 at 8:28 pm

That is awesome!

• Reply Carolyn October 28, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Cute!

• Reply Adrianne (Little Bluebell) October 30, 2011 at 10:15 pm

This is such a cool and original design!!

• Reply Flaun October 31, 2011 at 5:46 am

Love the scrap splat creation.

Jenny of Sew Kind of Wonderful gave me a Versatile Blogger Award a couple of weeks ago and I’ve passed it on to you! If you’d like to play along, you can see it on my blog.

I’m really enjoying reading back here. Sometimes I wish I could live in the same town as all the funny ladies I follow, just so we could get together for laughs.

• Reply Kit Lang November 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm

For fun, I googled “scrap splat challenge” (I was curious to see what else people had produced) and came across yours.

Super cute! (And so is your baby!)

I went with a modern approach too. :) http://kitlangfiberart.blogspot.com/2011/10/welcome-to-bloggers-quilt-festival.html

• Reply julie November 10, 2011 at 8:04 am

i love your quilt!, and i love that you have a “pepper” my daughter is also a Pepper. they are few and far between!. just makes them more special 😉
    julie

• Reply Michelle November 15, 2011 at 2:19 am

That is SO gorgeous – I love the way it looks like swirling flower petals.