Hello Kitty QAL

Sanrio shutdown

March 6, 2012

So I think I blogged almost everyday last week. . . wow that’s kind of amazing. I blame that I had something to show like every night. This week is kind of crzy (meaning no sewing) so I haven’t really had time to blog.

Well my HK is finally done. .

So as a blogger, my plans were to hit the local Sanrio store in the mall and get an awesome picture of the quilt in the store or in front of the store. . .

Today, I’ve got the quilt in hand and walked into the mall.

I went to where the store was and it was replaced by a big name wireless store. Maybe it moved, so I turned and asked a mall worker where it moved to. “It’s been out of business for like 2yrs.” What!?!? This shows you how much I go to the mall.

Hmm. . what to do?

Hey, the Macy’s has a furniture section . . my quilt on fancy room furniture with spot lighting? sure!

DSCN1887

Oh lets get a bed actionshot. . .

DSCN1886

Binding on a zebra print ottoman. . . why not.

DSCN1890

Here’s a close up of the loopy flowers that Kayli did, she’s awesome at quilting!

DSCN1889

What’s the plans for the quilt? Well, it’s for my lil’ girl Pepper. Her current blankie is so tattered and she’s chewed on all the corners. Blankie = pacifier. If she doesn’t have it, she cries and cries. I’m hoping to slowly ween her over the HK and then I can fix the blankie and maybe it will get put away for my grandkids or something.

DSCN1892

DSCN1893

HK Actionshot# 3

My first finish in 2012!
Facts:
Quilt = 54×54
6×6 blocks *1.5 unfinished squares*
Fabric: Stash
Binding: Lecien
Backing (not shown): Target sheet

P.S we’ll be doing a pixelated how-to stay tuned.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

• Reply Diane stanley March 6, 2012 at 10:05 pm

This is a true work if art and so cute too!

• Reply Debbie March 6, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Just darling! What a hoot that the store has been gone for ages….kinda made me chuckle. (I’m not a mall rat either!)

• Reply Amanda March 6, 2012 at 10:10 pm

It turned out so great! My little girl would LOVE something like this!

• Reply anniemouse lee March 6, 2012 at 10:21 pm

what store did you buy most of the fabrics at. Maybe they would like to hang it in their store for a while.

• Reply Tanya March 6, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I once tried to take pictures of all the ridiculous Hello Kitty branded items in a Taiwanese department store, and I was asked to stop taking pictures. Guaranteed they would have done that to you, too. I love your quilt, BTW!

• Reply Kati March 6, 2012 at 11:13 pm

So fabulous!!

• Reply Sel March 6, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I love this so much!

• Reply liveacolorfullife March 6, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I’ve been following along and this quilt is so SEW cute!! I would never have thought of having it modeling at the Macy’s store. Genius idea.

• Reply Marg March 6, 2012 at 11:37 pm

THat is so cute, what a great quilt for your daughter!

• Reply Flying Blind March 7, 2012 at 12:23 am

Brilliant! I love that you took the shops in a store too – cheeky!

• Reply Katy March 7, 2012 at 12:33 am

Oh man – it turned out epic. The quilting is perfect. Love her so much!

• Reply Cathy March 7, 2012 at 3:04 am

Whoa!!! My little granddaughter Annie would LOVE this quilt! She is 3 and loves Hello Kitty! πŸ™‚ Great job! Congrats on posting regularly! I have a 100 day Challenge going for myself…to post for 100 days without fail! It has only been hard on a few days when my brain won’t go into gear~ β™₯

• Reply Binks March 7, 2012 at 3:59 am

I’d be lost if my local Sanrio ever shutdown… sniffle sniffle…

Your quilt is uber adorable! It just looks amazing and is way too cute. I give it 3 apples!

• Reply Elizabeth @ Don't Call Me Betsy March 7, 2012 at 4:54 am

Super awesome, and I love the mental image of you running around the mall trying to take pictures of the quilt! I’ve never tried that…hmm…I wonder if my Macy’s has furniture… πŸ˜‰ HK turned out awesome, and I think Pepper’s going to love it!

• Reply AnneMarie @ Gen X Quilters March 7, 2012 at 6:24 am

Looks fabulous Amy! I’ve often thought about heading to a furniture store to take quilt pics, but didn’t know if I wanted to become THAT crazy lady yet…. πŸ™‚

• Reply Shanna @ Sweet and Sassy March 7, 2012 at 7:52 am

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! I’m sad the Sanrio stores are so hard to find…I grew up on some Keroppi!!

• Reply Shelly March 7, 2012 at 8:09 am

What a fabulous quilt!!!

• Reply Kim March 7, 2012 at 8:19 am

I LOVE this quilt! You did an amazing job!!!! So sorry about the store being closed :o( You are so clever to go to Macy’s!!!!

• Reply Tiara March 7, 2012 at 8:34 am

I love it, especially how your legs look like hello kitty’s

• Reply Mike Pearson March 7, 2012 at 9:10 am

Love the loopy flowers!!! Nice job!!!

• Reply sarah March 7, 2012 at 10:27 am

Love it!

• Reply Katie March 7, 2012 at 11:00 am

HK is beautiful! I love her, well you know that already πŸ˜‰ I cam up with a great idea for mine. Hexagons. Yup, just need to pixelate, then each square is a hexie.

• Reply Lindsay March 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Eeek! I am sending this to my mom… Too cute. πŸ™‚

• Reply Katie B March 7, 2012 at 1:15 pm

This is way too awesome! I know Pepper will love it.

I know there’s a Sanrio store in Miami. Vacation time!

• Reply Marsha Cooper March 7, 2012 at 4:44 pm

too cute!

• Reply Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts March 7, 2012 at 6:13 pm

So awesome Amy! I am sure Pepper will love it as much as you do. Really awesome quilt. You rock!

• Reply Aimee G March 7, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Beautiful, beautiful quilt. Amazing. Can’t wait for the tutorial.

• Reply Tsoniki Crazy Bull March 7, 2012 at 7:36 pm

That is so cool! My daughter would love one too. Great job finishing it!!

• Reply Meryl March 7, 2012 at 9:02 pm

*shifty eyes* I must needs talk to this awesome Kaylie and see if she could do my someday quilt… I’ll email you about it πŸ˜‰

Plus your quilt looks fab. I love it. You have more skill in your pinkie toe than I do in my whole body!!

• Reply Michele March 8, 2012 at 10:00 am

A work of art!

• Reply Allison C March 8, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Well done! Still bumming you can’t do a QAL, but I’m still planning on making one on my own in the near future. Did you use different shades of white tones or is it just my computer?

• Reply Lindsey R. March 9, 2012 at 7:26 am

LOVE it, the quilting is perfect. Cracking up over the photoshoot!

• Reply randi March 9, 2012 at 7:43 am

this is a fantastic quilt! really amazing job!

• Reply Jessie March 9, 2012 at 8:34 am

You HK quilt turned out amazing! Too funny about the store!
    Can’t wait for your pixelated how-to!

• Reply samantha March 9, 2012 at 9:47 am

That is simply stunning! Love it- and love your macy’s photo shoot!

• Reply Francine McGee March 12, 2012 at 12:37 am

LOVE the quilt and the Macy’s photo shoot! Going to have to try that some day.

• Reply amy March 12, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Lurv! My in-house Hello Kitty fan is salivating.

• Reply Hello Kitty Quilt @Craftzine.com blog March 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm

[…] seen a lot of Hello Kitty crafts as a Hello Kitty fan. I think this wonderful quilt by Sukie is my favorite to […]

• Reply Patty March 12, 2012 at 6:15 pm

OMG! That’s amazing work! *applause*

• Reply nicole king March 12, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I just picked up 4 JK craft books in Japanese from the Goodwill. I had no idea what was going to do with them….. Now I do. Thanks..

• Reply hello kitty quilt | make handmade, crochet, craft March 12, 2012 at 10:13 pm

• Reply Marie/Underground Crafter March 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I love it! I am imagining it translated into crochet, too!

• Reply Kirsten March 16, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Love your HK quilt and I am sure it will be very well loved by Pepper too!

• Reply Krista March 17, 2012 at 11:49 am

Oh I’m so impressed by this. It’s spectacular! My cousin is a big Nintendo fanatic and I’ve thought about doing a quilt like this only using a pixelated mario or link (from Zelda). How did you go about making your pattern? If you could point me In the right direction I’d be so happy!

• Reply Maureen Cracknell Handmade March 18, 2012 at 6:39 am

This is so amazing!!! WOW!

• Reply Hello Kitty Quilt / Sukie | External Brain March 25, 2012 at 7:58 pm

[…] seen a lot of Hello Kitty crafts as a Hello Kitty fan. I think this wonderful quilt by Sukie is my favorite to date — via CRAFT This entry was posted in Craft. Bookmark the permalink. […]

• Reply Diane July 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Your Hello Kitty quilt is adorable, but your impromptu photo shoot in the furniture department really cracked me up. Were there any raised eyebrows from sales staff? Or maybe there were no sales staff around due to recessionary cutbacks. At any rate, the photos were brilliant! I was at Marshall Field’s (now Macy’s) one Christmas and a family was taking their holiday photo in the furniture department. β€œVirtual” reality indeed!

• Reply Archie the wonder dog July 29, 2012 at 6:49 am

Oh, I love this quilt – my niece would adore one…best keep it out of her sight until I’ve finished the things I’m working on! I love the photo shoot in a shop idea – did the staff ask you what you were doing or keep well away?!

• Reply Picture this | My Stars: A New Tradition January 31, 2014 at 7:49 am

[…] Hello Kitty by Amy Newbold, http://sukiedontyaknow.com/2012/03/sanrio-shutdown […]