October 4, 2012

My blog has been hugely neglected. . sorry.

Fall is here and I feel like things are ramping up in the sewing community. I finally got my shit together and started another round of the 4×5 modern Quilt Bee.

4x5 modern Quilt Bee Badge

And then I’m been kind of knee deep in organizing the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild mixer at Sewing Summit. It’s basically a get together with our guild and the attendees littered with door prizes from manufacturers and stores that I hold near and dear to my heart.

This might be the best segway to why I addressed this blog post “negativity.”

While getting ready for Sewing Summit and other crzy ass things in my life. . . I’ve witness some pretty shitty negative actions in the last month.

I didn’t have a good mom growing up. . but somehow I learned manners on the way and how to treat people.

Treat people how you would want to be treat.

That’s like the golden rule somewhere right? (Someone look it up for me please!)

But what if I’m only dealing with them online or through social media, doesn’t that give me the right to be as rude as I can be?  Being in front of your monitor and typing on a keyboard gives you a huge cup of liquid courage, I’ll have to give you that.  I don’t think that being rude and negative to make your point is the right way.   I do think that it sure makes you loud and others clutching my pearls.

Clutching My Pearls

Would it be different, if you knew that you were seeing the people in person?  Would it be different if you’re known for a negative act then positive?

When I see ways people treat each other negatively. . I more just shut down and make a personal note to myself that life’s short and I don’t need shitty people in my life.  I need quality friends and strive to make friends that will stick.  A good motto, is cut the fat.  Basically, don’t give these people more attention.  Stop following them or ignore them.  I promise, if you cut them out and don’t know what they’re saying then you’ll care way less and be a lot happier.

Life’s too short.

Oh if you think I’m just talking about Sewing Summit – grossly mistaken my friend.  I’ve seen it in the Zakka Sewalong and Art Gallery Fat Quarterly gang recently.  I’m not going to give examples. . .but if you search enough you’ll find them.

I hope you read this with a open mind , “But you don’t have to take my word for it. . .” -LeVar Burton

• Reply Katie B October 4, 2012 at 10:38 am

I’m with you, sister! There’s enough negativity in the real world–our online quilting community should be a happy, fun, and creative place!

P.S. Why do I not live in Salt Lake?

• Reply Rachel October 4, 2012 at 11:35 am

Remember people “reap what they sow.” It will all work out. Mean while, we will continue to have fun.

• Reply Marci Warren-Elmer October 4, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Way to rock the “Reading Rainbow” quote! Love it. I am a firm believer of if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all policy. What kind of people go out of their way to say mean things about peoples work etc? Not people I would care to be around. I sew to get away from all the nonsense in my life and I think it is supposed to be fun!

• Reply Flying Blind October 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Knew I loved you for reason!

• Reply Marla October 4, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I know I am not the only one that tried to search around for the negative things. Nosy nosy.

Luckily, finding negative things on sewing blogs/flickr posts is like finding a needle in a haystack. I am reminded what a very smart little rabbit said in Bambi. Something like “If you don’t have anything nice to say, then FU”

• Reply Allison C October 4, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I agree, life is too short…cut them out. My mom always said, “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all”. I swear she said that at least once a month. I remembered it though and now try to follow it. I wish my mom’s quote was more similar to what Marla said the rabbit told Bambi. I might have to use that at work. I’m sure that will go over well….

• Reply diane stanley October 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I have adopted the Ellen Degeneres point of view, just be kind…although I want to believe that I have always been kind. If you need any one “taken out”, I know people. Ha! My mom always said…”If she’s dumb, don’t you be dumber”…I guess that’s the same thing right?

• Reply Kristen October 4, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Well said.

I like to leave people laughing or at least try. I don’t need any negativity following me around and tend to click away or walk away or unfollow, etc. Life is too short to get sucked into the insert whatever negative drama.

Thanks for arranging the mixer. I look forward to it.

• Reply PennyDog October 5, 2012 at 5:01 am

It’s too easy to troll people online, they should say it to yuor face if they really mean it. Didn’t think so! 😉

People are all talk. I remember this one girl at school who was prissy and bitchy and she challenged me to a fight. I thought “yeah right, you’d get your hair and nails messy” so I went up to her and offered her the first hit. Of course I “wasn’t worth it”. I totally won that one lol

• Reply Amanda October 5, 2012 at 8:32 am

Soooo, I just follow the Conan O’Brien philosophy. ‘If you work hard, and are kind, amazing things will happen’

I find that working hard keeps me busy enough that I don’t have time to go trolling online 😉 Maybe some people just have too much free time. See you soon!

• Reply Cori October 5, 2012 at 9:50 am

Well said. Life IS too short. I have some particularly negative friends IRL and I want to shake them and say, “You only get one go at this thing called life! Why do you want to spend it being grumbly all the time?”

• Reply Lauren aka Giddy99 October 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Three cheers for this post! There was some horrid negativity (and just plain hatefulness) a couple of weeks ago, and I spent at least two hours tracking down the Negative Nellies (who did not identify themselves, but left enough clues in their remarks), just to stop following their blogs, their twitters, their Facebooks and any other following I might have been doing. You are right, there just isn’t any room for that in my life, either. :)

• Reply Christina October 6, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Boy do I know the feeling of this post. Much better to just move on and ignore that crap. :) I am a firm believer in “karma”.

• Reply sylvia October 7, 2012 at 10:32 am

You just stay as positive & cheerful as always. Ignore all the other b.s. It is not worth the time or effort. Spend your energy with postive friends/family and enjoy life.
    Take care.

• Reply Richard Healey October 8, 2012 at 4:37 pm

You are wonderful and I want you to know that you are appreciated. You are a fun and kind person from the little bit that I have talked to you (after all you are one of the few that talked to me the strange guy sitting in the guild meeting) I love the blog world and quilting mostly because people are positive. Even when I hold up and show off a ugly quilt I get 10 people telling me I did great. I want you to know you did great and if there is any thing you ever need just yell and I am sure a pile of people will be there to help

• Reply Jenny C October 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Last night was great fun. Thank you so much for organizing the Sewing Mixer. I met some amazing people.