MQG

Quiltcon Recap

February 26, 2013

Dang, I still can’t believe it’s over. . .

If you’re family or friends and aren’t into quilting, I was in Austin,TX for the last 5 days working.

Quiltcon is the first international modern quilt show.

Quiltcon

I traveled with my good buddy, Marci (who really got roped into helping more than she volunteered for). We did our customary feet picture with ugly airport-carpet-backdrop:

Customary feet picture at the airport

Once we landed, I headed straight to the convention center to setup and it’s been a whirlwind since then. If you didn’t see me around, I was mostly manning the office and checking in instructors, here’s a few favorites:

Instructors of Quiltcon

Being behind the scenes and getting to talk to my heros was great! One great moment is when “the Butlers” checked in and I came back to the room and announced, “The Butlers are here!” David and Amy are just the sweetest and funniest couple.

The Butlers

Here they are drawing some inspiration from Denyse Schmidt:

The Butlers inspired by Denyse(hilarious right?)

I got to see some pretty dang awesome things when I actually was able to get away to the show floor:

Youngest FM Quilter in Stitchlab's booth(youngest fmq in the Stitchlab – she might rule the quilting world one day, so watch out!)

GFG Skirt(Grandma’s Flower Garden skirt – HOT!)

Just a small sample of the booths (at this point I should of brought my camera):
My creation

The quilts! I could only snap a couple of my favorites and I didn’t really get a chance to see who they were made by (if you know, please let me know so I can give proper credit):
Quilts from Quiltcon

Oh yes! If you were following via Instagram, I did get a tattoo – HK but it looks kind of gross right now so I’m not going to show it off.

I’m really, really, really grateful for the opportunity to be a Board Member and be apart of this great show.  Thanks to everyone who attended and volunteered – where would we be without your support.
The staff of Quiltcon

• Reply Maureen Cracknell February 26, 2013 at 2:25 pm

QuiltCon looked like it was a blast! I was completely upset with myself for not being able to go!! I’m so glad you shared so many pics, thanks for that, and I’m so, SO glad you had such a wonderful time!!

• Reply Faith February 26, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Amy – You guys did such a great job!!! I hope you are all really proud of everything you’ve accomplished and know how much we appreciate the unbelievable amount of work each of you put into the show. :)

• Reply Sarah February 26, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Can’t wait to hear about it in person. Ps w should do sushi soon with the husbands/whole family.

• Reply AnneMarie @ Gen X Quilters February 26, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Still crying over having to miss it. Looks like you had a great time!!

• Reply Debbie February 26, 2013 at 9:37 pm

SO awesome! Love reading the recaps, even from behind the scenes! btw, the butterfly quilt is by the FAITH Circle of do.good.stitches. http://www.flickr.com/photos/me1issa/8456690456/in/pool-faithdogoodstitches

• Reply Charlotte February 27, 2013 at 3:03 am

It was so great to meet you! See you in 2015 :-)

• Reply Ronnie Haley February 27, 2013 at 7:34 am

Wow,looks amazing. A quilters dream! Thanks for sharing those pics. Especially love the Denyse Schmidt & Butlers! Icons!!!!!

• Reply Ivy February 27, 2013 at 9:41 am

Wow, you had a blast! The clamshell quilt was made by Latifah Saafir. :)

• Reply Jeanenne Nielsen February 27, 2013 at 10:35 am

It looks like you had lots of fun. Wish I was younger and just starting, maybe I could be as good as you.

• Reply Debbie February 27, 2013 at 12:40 pm

It was wonderful! It was so special being up close and personal with the quilts and the quilters I see every day on blogs and websites. It was inspirational! My husband joined me on the trip from Oklahoma. He said my face “lit up” when I talked about what and who I saw. It made it all real, all the books bought, tutorials shared, quilt alongs joined, and photos shared on Flickr and Instagram. Now I understand what the Modern Quilt movement is all about.
    Thanks to everyone for all the work that made this a wonderful show. First of many, I hope.

• Reply Holly February 27, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Thank you! I had the most wonderful, amazing, unbelievable time at QuiltCon and I appreciate the work you and all the other board members and volunteers put into the event. The orange herringbone quilt is “The Caltrans Quilt” by Susan Kephart and the purple one is “Doppelganger”, made by Thomas Knauer and quilted by Lisa Sipes.

• Reply Rochelle New February 27, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Looks like you had a super awesome time!! I would LOVE to go to a convention like this some day. I feel like there aren’t any in the Northeast though. …or maybe I just don’t know of any?

• Reply amy smart February 28, 2013 at 10:38 am

Holy Cow, I can’t imagine how hard you guys must have worked! It’s been so fun to read the recaps and everyone’s experiences. Sounds so amazing. I’m totally in for 2015!

• Reply amy smart February 28, 2013 at 10:39 am

PS That picture of the Butlers with the Denyse Schmidt poster is hilarious!

• Reply Amy March 3, 2013 at 9:17 pm

QuiltCon was absolutely fantastic. It was so great to see everyone

• Reply trish March 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm

What a great time you had! Lots of work but what a blast!
    I have never heard of Quiltcon until this year. :o)

• Reply trish March 26, 2013 at 1:22 pm

What a great time you had! Lots of work but what a blast!
    I have never heard of Quiltcon until this year. :o)
    ps. Love the maryjanes!!