Hello Kitty QAL

One hit wonder

October 8, 2013

If you’re new and don’t know the drama with the HK quilt I designed in 2012 – it was going to be this epic QAL!  But sadly it got shut down because the folks at Sanrio claimed, “Copyright!” If you interested and have time to read ~ here’s the blog post on it.

I’ve done a couple tops for friends.  Recently, a good online buddy reached out and commissioned me to make her a top.  By far, this one is my favorite version of this quilt.  I used low volume prints in the background instead of white on white prints in the other HK quilts. (sssh she gets it today via UPS)
Low Volume Background
I did time myself while making a block and have an accurate measure of how long it takes to make the quilt (40mins/block/36 blocks).  Have you timed yourself when making a block for a quilt?

HK Quilt Finish

• Reply Deonn October 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

Ms. Sukie! This is just the most adorable thing ever – maybe you should keep this one and give her the old one. I just bought a new sewing machine for my daughter – now I’m thinking I should give her my old one and keep the new one… I won’t, but it did cross my mind! It is disappointing that Sanrio did not understand the incredible marketing opportunity your QAL would have provided. THE cutest HK quilt in the universe.

• Reply Debbie October 8, 2013 at 10:09 am

Love the LV. Darling quilt! And yes, I’m a numbers person and ‘time’ my blocks all the time! Ie. the current bee block I’m doing takes 40 minutes for 1/4 block – yikes.

• Reply staci October 8, 2013 at 10:13 am

Just wandered over from IG and love your quilt. I am so sad Sanrio crushed the QAL project. My daughter would have loved one of these…. that is if I were generous enough to part with it. 🙂

• Reply Jeanie October 8, 2013 at 10:27 am

This quilt completely rocks my world. You are a clever girl. Thanks for sharing the photos.

• Reply Jolana October 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Very nice quilt!!! I love the result and your choice of fabrics in the background! Jolana

• Reply Dawn October 8, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I have timed myself on my 60 degree diamond/hexagons. It takes an hour to cut out the diamonds, baste them on their little “quilt patis” then sew together the 6 diamonds for the star and the six surrounding diamonds to make the hexagon. (I didn’t add in the time to add it to the quilt). When I’m finished with my quilt, I’ll have to figure out the total time. So far, I think I have over 100 diamond/hexagons. Needless to say, I’ve been working on it for a year (and during major knee surgery with A LOT of time on my hands)!

• Reply Elizabeth @ Don't Call Me Betsy October 9, 2013 at 5:04 am

Ooh, maybe that’s where I went wrong with my pixelated minion quilt – I didn’t do it block-y, I did it by rows, and it felt like it took freaking forever!!! The body’s done now, just need to work on adding some borders to make it bigger, but I keep putting it off. I love your new HK, and I love the green border, Chris is going to l-o-v-e it!!

• Reply AmandaK@whatthebobbin October 9, 2013 at 8:23 am

Love everything about this quilt. Nice work 🙂

• Reply Flying Blind October 10, 2013 at 10:16 am

Superb1!!!!

• Reply Angelia F. Wright Gordon October 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm

So we know you will not be doing a HK quiltvalong but what about a pixulated class. We all love what you do!

• Reply Jessica November 28, 2013 at 7:49 am

Ok so I love this quilt more then any quilt I have ever seen and let me tell you I have seen a lot of wonderful quilts!!! Please share how you go about doing something like this because I would love to mark a hello kitty quilt. That’s so sad someone had to rain down on the fun we could have all had making these wonderful hello kitty quilts…..mean people 🙁
    *Jessica