<div align="center"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/groups/4x5modernquiltbee/" title="4x5 modern Quilt bee"><img src="http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j202/sukie80/5862320316_954a2f1d9e_m.jpg" alt="4x5 modern Quilt bee" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
What is a sewing bee?
- It’s a gathering of friends and family who come together to work on creating a quilt. Very social event!
Tell me more about 4×5 modern Quilt Bee.
- It’s a virtual bee meaning that all the activity is online and on Flickr. Flickr is an online photo management and sharing application. There is a dedicated group for the 4×5 members to post their pictures of their blocks and discussion.
- Currently, we have over 200 members. Not all are active of course and they choose when they want to be active in the group
- There are 3 quarters in the year. This is based on the year and how many admins are moderating the group. Since we have 3 “queens” we’ll have 3 quarters.
- We have many international members too and try to place at least one international person in a group
- We have 9 groups of 6 people. The group does include a “caretaker” which is the person in charge of making sure that everyone mails on time. If there are any questions then they go to the caretaker first.
- Blocks have to be 12.5×12.5 unfinished
- Each member makes a total of 5 blocks in their selected block pattern but in the member’s selected color scheme
- This is a stash bee – meaning no one sends fabric
- The members try to use modern fabric favorites
- Blocks go towards making a sampler quilt. A sampler quilt is a quilt where every block is different but the blocks are the same size. Here are some examples of sampler quilts:
How do I join?
- You have to be active on flickr. We look at your recent flickr activity.
- Have to had previous online swap experience
- Have the same modern tastes
If you’re interested in joining please head over to the flickr group and apply!